Wednesday, May 29, 2013

MORE MILESTONES . . .OR, HOW OLD ARE YOU?




      Two men who hold important places in my heart and in my history are having 'special' birthdays later this week. Two others have already had their 'symbolic' birthdays earlier this year and another is reaching the threshold of the 'Big One' coming next year.

    Earlier this year, John whom I have known for many years as friend and colleague turned 60 in March and Willard, a former parishioner and guitarist in the Maple Springs Strings, met # 75 on May 1.  Stan, my banjoist friend mentioned in the previous post, will be practicing 'getting older' when he turns 59 this Friday.  And, now, there are the two whose "Big" birthdays, ending in "5" and "0",  come this week.

    My 'baby brother' becomes 'officially old' on May 31 when he observes his 65th.  Just to show him that I can be the epitome of generosity, I have offered to buy his breakfast that morning.  Funny, when I was 18 and a college freshman, those 10 years between us were a chasm.  Over the years, the gap has narrowed to the point that it is now nonexistent.  In those days, he could not understand why it was not 'cool' for him to accompany me on a date with a girlfriend.

   On Tuesday, quite unexpectedly, I had a telephone call from my long-time friend, Rick, who was driving back home to Florida and was nearing my hometown.  Alas, I was 60+ miles away in my office and unable to enjoy an impromptu visit.  We met in 1990 when we were Clinical Residents in the same training program.  At the time, he was a 'mature' 27 year old and I was the 'old man' of the group at 52.  Now he will be a half-century old on Saturday. Ouch!

    Nostalgia can give a lot of pleasure.  'Homesickness of the Soul' someone has called it;  Or, a 'longing for the good old days'.  But, 'Living in the past' can be tricky.  There is, however, another richer dimension.  Awareness of, appreciation for, formative times and relationships can offer a kind of enrichment of the 'right now' as well as hope for the 'yet to come'.  Friendships are 'gifts', 'treasures' if you please.  I know that they require time, attention, caring to nurture.  And, in marking these birthdays, I become aware that there are other friendships . . . for whatever 'reasons' . . . that I have allowed to fall into disrepair and I have some 'catching up' to do.

    My life has been greatly enriched by having these good men as fellow travelers.  The relationships are of totally different kinds ...one a biological brother and 'kindred spirit' in many ways; the other an esteemed former colleague and warm friend who now lives too far away and with whom reconnecting after absences seems to come easily.  

     

     "Happy Birthday" this week to Bob and to Rick.  And, as Bob Hope used to sing, "Thanks for the Memories" and here's to many more good years and good times to come, with you and with Life. 

       Satchel

     

No comments:

Post a Comment