Wednesday, October 18, 2023

                                                         Old Man in the Sun
                                 
                                 Original art by Dominique Metreaud.  Used by permission.



 "To  be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring."                   George Santayana


    Some blog posts come quickly; others take a long time to 'marinate'. This one comes in the latter group.
I have the  sense that the time has come to see what emerges. The impetus to proceed came from reading a column that my 75 year old 'little brother'  recently wrote for the local weekly. A graduate of the Journalism School of the University of North Carolina as well as being a seminary graduate, he sometimes writes pretty profound ideas in his weekly column.. His  thoughts and mine  have to do with the 'Seasons of Life'.
    October's ushering Autumn onto the calendar has further stimulated my interest in life's transitions . . . and my place therein. This has long been my favorite month and it never lasts long enough. When, then, does Winter begin ? In one of his poems, Shel Silverstein lamented "must we always have Winter? Can't Springtime just stay? ...and some hair turn gray ...".  I would modify that to "Can't October just stay?" I've never heard anyone sing In The Good Old Wintertime.
   The later Bernard Baruch wrote of being in the 'Winter' of his life when in his 90's.  Earlier he had keenly noted that "to me old age is always fifteen years  older than  I am".  From  the vantage point of accumulated birthdays, some review of  'the past'  can  be helpful, as long as nostalgia  for the good old days does not distort perspective. The Brothers Four sang "Deep in December it's nice to remember although you know the snow will follow".  
    The calendar tells me that  I have had 85 birthdays with a 86th following soon (I hope). But I do not  'feel' old (except for an arthritic hip). An  article on PMCPubMedCentral cited research indicating  "older adults across many disparate countries, both Western and Eastern, share a surprisingly universal view that they feel younger than their chronological age. and this tendency is more pronounced with increasing age." I like these observations taken from that fount of knowledge, Wikipedia : "Old age is the range of ages for persons nearing and surpassing life expectancy . . . Old age is not a definite biological  stage: the chronological age denote as 'old age' varies culturally and historically". 
    I have good memories from the Seasons of my life ...important people, formative experiences of opportunities seized as well as disappointments, places travelled, etc. "Of all the sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these 'It might have been'".
Who said that? I don't remember.  I think it more important to live with integrity and purpose and grace in whatever 'season' we find ourselves, as per Santayana 's quote  above.
    How 'old' are you or as the original Satchel asked, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
  
        Satchel
 


 


   




3 comments:

  1. Nice you are still around..I was beginning to feel concerned. October & November are my favorite months. I love the Fall. However when I was younger I used to mark the summers as the touchstones of my life. Now at 70, soon to be 71 I feel younger & thirstier for life & all the privileges that it encompasses. If I am bothered by anything it is how the world has not become a better place in my lifetime.. Keep writing,as always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writings always mean so much Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, in my 76 years of life, I have decided that age is more a state of mind than the accumulation of years. I have always had the goal of living to at least 96, and if I am blessed to do that, it'll be great. And if not, I'm grateful for whatever comes.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete