Saturday, January 3, 2015

A VOICE FROM THE PAST . . .




       Last night I heard a 'voice from the past'.  Amazing, isn't it , what technological 'gadgets' can provide.  The 'voice' that I heard was that of my Mentor and Academic Father, the late Reverend Doctor Harrell F. Beck.  In the Spring semester of 1961, I enrolled in his course "Hebrew Wisdom Literature" at Boston University School of Theology.  Easily the most academically challenging and gratifying class that I took during my year there, I remain proud of the "A" that was earned.  And while his status as a scholar was impressive, what most endeared him was his human warmth and 'approachability'.  (Harrell's scholarly credentials and achievements can be viewed at www.Facebook.com/HarrellBeck. The site was set up by some of his proteges as a way of remembering and continuing his legacy.)

    Well into that semester, I knew that I was "in the wrong pew, in the wrong church, at the wrong time in my life."  And while I hardly had vocational clarity (after all, I was 23 years old -- Time to 'get on with it' !), I felt that to leave school would have been a betrayal to many who had supported my matriculation.  Hardly knowing the man but sensing his integrity, I made a lunch appointment with Dr. Beck.  He listened carefully, then expressed his opinion that I was not being remiss but rather was attempting to be honest and find my way.  How liberating; how affirming!

    From May, 1961 when I departed Boston until Harrell's death in December ,1987, we saw each face to face perhaps on a half dozen or so occasions.  The most memorable of those visits occurred in the Summer of 1985 when he preached at my installation as Minister of a North Carolina congregation.  (God does have a sense of humor !)  Beyond the memory of those times together, I have a thick file of the correspondence we maintained over those years.
His letters abounded with humor, wisdom, encouragement, affection, and his humanity.




                                (With Harrell Beck, Summer, 1985)

     In late November, 1987, I wrote to him extensively about the vicissitudes of life as a parish minister and still seeking (at age 49, after an extensive tenure as college professor) the vocational path of fulfillment.  His response was, as usual, supportive and encouraging: "I am sure you have talents and gifts that are not being used and I think it is important to be specific about one or two of those and see that they are brought into use."

     I bemoaned that he was soon to depart for Hong Kong where he would again have a teaching appointment.  He responded: "I too lament the fact that we meet so seldom. . . . At least we can write.  We can be present to each other without either geographic presence or writing, but both of the latter are much better.  . . . Surely heaven is a place for the fullness of relationship."  Before that day ended, Harrell was dead from acute myocardial infarction.

    After his death, I learned of this prayer he had written:
   
  "I'd like to be a flower in the garden of God.  I'd like to take my
chances in the wind and the rain, in the storm and the sunshine. I'd like to be planted  among a variety of species in the midst of an assortment of colors--and sizes--and shapes; and to grow among the lilies and the lilacs, the crocuses and the chrysanthemums, the poppies and the  pansies, and yes even the dandelions.  I want to be part of an absolute riot of color and beauty.

    Pray God I might last long enough to blossom. And, then, Lord, early if you want to, late if you can, I want you to pick me.  And if I must be alone in a solitary vase, I'll take it.  I'd rather be in a bouquet. But could I be something beautiful, Lord, and placed on your table at somebody's covenantal mement, when they're bringing their child or when they're burying their beloved or when they are sealing a vow? That could be joy enough, God, but could I ask one more thing?  Could it be possible that someone would say, 'That reminds me of a flower I once saw, a rose in Sharon, a lily of the valley, who was once picked by God and gave up his life --to add beauty and significance to the lives of others.' "

    Last night, he was much on my mind and I did a Google search, and that is where I heard his voice.  There are two of his lectures on 
'SoundTheology.org/speaker/speaker-beck-harrell' . I heard just one of them  . . . 'Escape to Reality', apparently addressed to a group of United Methodist Ministers in Spokane, Washington, at an unspecified date.   It's a tad long . . . about an hour . . . but most substantive.

   I was delighted to hear his voice again with his depth of insight and faith and his warmth of  expression.  I invite you to listen.

     Satchel



1 comment:

  1. Linda Allred CooperJanuary 4, 2015 at 6:19 AM

    I hear your sorrow at losing him in your words.

    ReplyDelete