Friday, December 26, 2014

LEFT- OVERS




     The late Reverend Doctor Peter Marshall upon facing left over holiday turkey for the umpteenth time told his wife that she would have to say the pre-meal grace because God knew that he was not grateful for turkey hash.

    Not all left-overs merit our scorn; rather, before we move on into the post-holiday period, there are a few things to remember that can offer soul nourishment.  High on my list are 'Christmas programs', especially those presented in small congregations.  My mentor, the late Reverend Doctor Harrell Beck, noted that probably every church has three bathrobes hanging in a closet somewhere for use by the 'three Wise Men'.

     In writing this, I remember one such program in which I had a bit part ...probably when I was 10 years old.  I was given a white cassock at rehearsal and I was so proud of it that I wore it on the  six block walk home that December afternoon.  The t.v. movie, The Homecoming, (if I remember the title correctly)(which was the pilot for the subsequent series, The Waltons) had a poignant scene of the 'program' at the neighboring Black church.

     This year, we attended what I consider to be among the best that I have ever experienced.
The church members whom we know well seemed remarkably unselfconscious in their various costumes and coming's and going's.  The sequencing of narrative, costumes, and music formed a unity that  powerfully conveyed the message.  Only after it had concluded did we learn that it had been written by Jeff, a gifted member of the congregation.  'Written'...well, he had considerable assistance from Luke, John and a few other Biblical authors.  But he wove it all together in a beautiful symmetry. Thanks, Jeff and members of Maple Springs for your offering.

    By contrast, on Christmas Eve, we attended a service at a church near where we have spent the week.  While there were spots for congregational participation, I left feeling that I had been at a 'performance' rather than at a worship service.  Perhaps I am more of a liturgical traditionalist than I had realized but music with a rock beat does not assist in my awareness of the Holy One.

   And, I did say left-overs.  Facebook, like many other things, has its benefits as well as its banalities. This year we have appreciated exchanging greetings in real time with several persons important to us.  I hope that the warmth of these exchanges remains through the coming Winter.

    Do memories qualify as 'left-overs' ?  Not all are 'turkey hash'; instead they maintain a zestful taste that can provide sustenance without exhaustion.  Not all the 'ghosts of Christmas past' are haunting.  While the past is not a good place to live, occasional visits can provide perspectives worth having.

    What's in your left-overs that you can give thanks for . . . with due respect for Dr. Marshall's candor ?
     Satchel

No comments:

Post a Comment