Sunday, December 8, 2013

". . . WITH EVERY CHRISTMAS CARD I WRITE . . ."




        Forget the "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" part.
We had one of those just three years ago.  The storm warning caused us to abbreviate our Christmas at the beach and scurry home . . .bread and milk in hand . . . arriving just minutes before the snow began.

        This year other words in the song have renewed significance for me . . .   those of the title of this post.  Last night we sat at the kitchen table and enjoyed the annual tradition of writing Christmas cards.  (When I googled the history of Christmas cards, I read that the custom originated in the UK in 1843 and migrated to the US late in that decade.  So much for the arcane history.)  Notice that the word is "write" rather than "address". We included a brief note in each card.  Sometimes our cards are the sole contact we have with folks during the year.  The card and note are ways of saying "We remember you and your place in our lives."

     As a youth and teen, I did not like cards addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Parents and Family".  For some reason, that felt like second-class. We (the brothers) had names and when someone included us, I was pleased. Over time, I suspect that I have continued that  slight; but I am trying 'to do better'.  Our parents received lots of cards, in part perhaps attributable to a  3 cents postage stamp. (It was the 1950's after all !)  I choose to believe that it was also because they had many friends and family. For a few years, they actually incorporated the cards into their interior decorations by attaching them to door frames. 

    Mr. Hall and his brothers expanded the options of card styles, etc. and hence put their hallmark on the custom. (Forgive the deliberate and lame pun; but there actually were the Hall brothers.)  

   When I was in college I learned that not everyone sending a card was motivated by seasonal cheer.  Home for Christmas break, I received a card from an upperclassman whom I hardly knew. Likely I thought something like "that's nice" but wondered 'why?'.  The answer came in the Spring when he ran for Student Body President.  And, of course, there are the "We are glad that you are our customer" kind.
Usually, my curmudgeon side kicks in and I just trash those.

    Among the more memorable was one from a friend, claiming financial difficulties and written on a folded sheet of paper:
    "Money's tight and times are hard.
       This, my dear, is your Christmas card."
In the years since, I have seen variations (some not here repeatable) and suspect that the ploy was not original with him.

     Alas, postage is no longer 3 cents . . . so that may impact how many cards we send this year.  Yet I am not ready to adopt the above  sentiment.  Remembering family and friends --of then and now -- is increasingly important. Since it is now the 21st century, even a greeting sent by email is acceptable.  

    And, who knows ---if I become too sentimental, I may just write about 'Fruitcake' next time.

     Satchel

2 comments:

  1. That was a nice point. Receiving christmas cards during the holiday is one of my most-awaiting events. I really like getting cards from friends and family, especially the ones with photos from theme, and updates of how they have been. I like those heartfelt Christmas card messages on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading and for your comment. Merry Christmas !

      Delete