Friday, December 20, 2013

"Digger" and Laura



             I have noticed the interweaving of a few 'themes' in these posts: Karakters appears pretty regularly; as do Nicknames and Whose Shoulders do you Stand on?  And, I have been chided . . . gently . . . that another theme is "I grow old".  I prefer not to think of it as  'getting older' but as attaining new vantage points or perspectives.

       Sometimes there is a kind of merging of themes as I reflect (or muse) upon important people, times, events that have been influential in setting or modifying the course of my life.  Such it is with this post.

    How could someone with the nickname of Digger not be a Karakter, in a good sense.  And, a spouse of that same karakter is one in her own right.  Have you had enough birthdays to remember the radio personality, 'Digger O'Dell, the friendly undertaker' ?
Well, the Digger of my acquaintance is now a retired United Methodist minister.  Before our lives intersected in 1960 at Boston University School of Theology, he had earlier been a mortician ---
hence the moniker.

     Since that year, as often happens, our careers have put us in different parts of the country with infrequent opportunities for face-to-face visits.  That one year has proved to be among the 'pivotal' nodes in my life.  And, Digger and Laura and their one year old son were major influences.

    A bit of context . . . our parents, though not wealthy, had largely underwritten my undergraduate education and in that last year, a second son had begun his studies at the state university.  Mom and Dad continued to be supportive, including financially. While I had a tuition scholarship and a couple of part-time jobs, often there was "too much month at the end of the money" and I was reluctant to ask more of them.  Consequently, there were some slim times along the way.  Somehow, Digger learned this.   I began having invitations to their home on week-ends; occasionally an envelope with a bit of cash would appear on my dorm door.  The inscription was something like "Have a peanut on me."

    Their residence in the Boston suburb of Braintree became 'home' and as part of saying 'Thank you', I would occasionally baby-sit their young son.  That 'child' is now an internationally respected PhD research scientist.  How quickly they grow up ! while we sometimes flatter ourselves that we are the same.

    Digger and Laura have shared their creativity and talents in many ways.  Though she was not enrolled at the seminary, her voice instructor recognized her great ability and had her become a member of the venerable Seminary Singers.  A nurse by training, she and Digger have enriched the lives of many persons in the places where they lived.

    A few years ago, upon retirement, they moved to Florida.  He became a  staff member of the large United Methodist church in their city.  There he continued to provide numerous creative touches, including  the annual Christmas festooning of the sanctuary.

    I was somewhat surprised when I realized that we were last together in 2006.  I was certain that it was just a couple of years ago.  He had come our way to say 'Good bye' to his former secretary who was dying.  He stayed with us for several days and it was a much too short visit.

     Recently, I had attempted to contact them and discovered that my information was outdated.  They had 'vanished'.  So, I went to their son's website for his email address and within a day had the new information.  Because of new health circumstances, they had moved to a retirement community in Venice, Florida.  I called them the next day and 'caught up'.

   I learned that they are expecting Jamie and his new family for a Christmas gathering.  Here's a heart-felt wish for the fullness of the time: "Have a peanut [of gratitude] on me."
     

    (The top photo of Laura, Digger, Jamie and Rex was actually taken in the Spring of 1961; the lower one of us  was made in the Summer of 2006.)

   Satchel


No comments:

Post a Comment