Sunday, January 13, 2013

Why "Satchel "




SATCHEL

     (This is 're-run' of initial post on another address which had a typo , caused by difficulties in hand-eye coordination and/or visual limitations.  Whichever, that entire matter is probably an appropriate entry unto itself.)

     As a youth, I was impressed with the achievements of Leroy "Satchel" Paige, the 'old man' who had become the 'oldest Rookie' in Major League Baseball (having played with such distinction in the segregated Negro  Leagues for many years).  The man would never tell his exact age, thereby making the curiosity even greater about how someone 'his age' could prevail in a game for 'young men'.  Satchel supposedly mused, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?".
   So much for the old saw, "Act your age!" that has been used to ascribe age-appropriate behaviors, especially, perhaps for youth and elders. I learned some valuable lessons about this topic when I was 50.  A friend invited me to join him in a 15 mile run/race through the streets of Charleston, WV. My goals were to complete the course and to do it under three hours. Gratefully, I was able to do that.  The following day, the Results published in the local newspaper informed me that I finished 30 minutes behind Dr. John Pianfetti who was 81.  The following year, I was only 15 minutes behind him at the finish line.  Though I never met Dr. Pianfetti, he was one of my heroes. The experience has become a kind of metaphor for me as I accumulate the candles on the birthday cakes.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
           Satchel

No comments:

Post a Comment