Saturday, February 1, 2020

"YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN A BLOG RECENTLY . . ."




       . . .  So said a colleague recently. And a friend from college years commented the same just today, wondering if I had 'writer's block'.   And for reasons not entirely clear to me, I have not written.  This much I do know:  There is a 'mood' that I seem to be encountering from many sources . . . clients, the news, social media, politicians, public discourse (often coarse discourse), deaths impacting friends, etc.  . . . that weighs heavily upon the human spirit, or at least my own. 
   Among the 'causes' and 'casualties': 
       ..human lives (after how many mass shootings, including two  at a funeral today);  Just saw a survey claiming that a full 50% of the American populace fear being present at  a mass shooting.
         ..tolerance for views differing from one's own, an attitude someone labeled "Why should I change my mind if I know that I am right ?";
    ...Minimal regard for our common humanity: 'commonwealth' it was once called;
        .. basic manners, kindness, dignity and respect; optimism about the future.

  In, the face of all this, Disengagement  from any  awareness, involvement, information, 'news' offers some folks a means of coping.  Diversions such as athletics and other entertainments serve the same function. Denial works for others. Some become Depressed.  (Just realized that I have a string of 'D' words.)

    Levity, nostalgia, hope, gratitude . . . among the ideals that I have wanted to convey in these musings and meanderings . . . have seemed somewhat out of place, irrelevant, and even trite against the backdrop of the recent social and political landscape. 

    For those who profess to be adherents of faith in a Being, a Higher Power, God, or other such designations , how in the Name of what is Holy and Good can kindness and compassion, love even, be expressed in realistic ways that make a difference? Especially when there are  'believers' who turn their 'religion' into instruments of divisiveness, self-righteousness, hatred, rancor.  Mark Erelli sang, "I refuse to let my hope become the latest casualty."  I like the sentiment; how to live it, protect it are my daily challenges.  

    Re-reading the preceding paragraph, I focused on "realistic ways that make a difference". For me,  Difference needs more clarity of definition.  Erelli again: "If I can't change the world, I'll change the world within my reach."  

    Occasionally, a client will inquire as to whether I am a "Christian".  To my understanding, I am. But before responding, I ask for clarification of what that means to them. I am not attempting to be coy or disingenuous; I simply do not want to say 'yes' or 'no' to their subjective definition which may not comport with my own.  Whatever else Christianity and other religions are,   cognitive dogmas that have no influence on how we live and treat  others seem inadequate for 'making a difference'.  

    How are you 'making a difference' these days ?

           Satchel
    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment