Thursday, August 31, 2017

MY 'TOOFIES'










It began undramatically enough  . . . my dentist was explaining
options for dealing with one of my tooth crowns that had a 'challenge'.  Among the choices was to remove the remaining top teeth (I already had a partial denture) and put in a 'full set'.
Among my first thoughts . . . isn't that something that 'old people' do?  Quickly counting my 79 birthdays, I concluded that I may now be among that grouping.   I remembered that dad obtained his full set when he was about 40.

Dentists and I have had a long-term relationship.  As a pre-adolescent, without so much as asking parental opinion, I went by Dr. Marvin Jones's office one afternoon after school to have a procedure done.  And, along with many (most ?) adults, I have vivid memories of wisdom teeth extractions. (OUCH !, 50 years later.)  Someone told me that any time he hears an extolling of 'the good old days', he has a one word rebuttal: "Dentistry".

    Now this !  At a preliminary consultation with the oral surgeon, she assured me that I would be well sedated and have no memories of the procedure.  Was she ever right !!  A Halcion tablet 45 minutes prior to the appointment had me well on the way.  Following the 25 mile drive (of which I remember nothing), I remember arriving at her office, sitting in the chair and the anesthetist preparing the IV.  I have no recollection, however, of seeing the surgeon.  Today when I returned for removal of stitches, she told me that indeed we had had a brief, friendly chat before she began.  If she says so . . .
There are other gaps of time for which I have no memory . . .
the drive back to my local dentist for the dentures (yep, same morning), returning home, my wife going to the pharmacy, and who knows what else !

In the 'now they tell me' category:  From a booklet provided from one of the the Dentist: "Adjusting to dentures or partials is challenging.  You will have to re-learn basic things such as eating and speaking clearly. You may struggle initially, but it will get easier as you adjust to your dentures."

The late Lewis Grizzard commented that surgery would change one's attitudes about narcotics.  Although the strongest post-surgery med that I had was 600 mg of Ibuprophen four times daily, that was                                                                                                         generally adequate.  There followed several days of dietary supplemental drinks with SOFT fare coming later.

     Now, 9 days later,  most of the soreness is gone and I have a tier of 'pearly whites' that attest that I have experienced one of those Adult Rites of Passage.

         A couple of days ago, someone posted a video on Facebook of a woman blowing out birthday cake candles and in the process, blowing out her dentures.  I'll be careful when blowing out candles.  I guess my big challenge will be determining whether I can eat corn of the cob.

Satchel



4 comments:

  1. now you can sound like Sean Connery !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bridge in my mouth now that I detest that is a direct result of Dr. Jones's "dentistry" or lack thereof. Dentisting has come a long way for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is what I have to look forward too. Humm

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure do have a sense of humor :)

    ~RS

    ReplyDelete