Wednesday, May 25, 2016

"TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME"







Can this be true ?  The Red Sox as of today are in first place in their division?  Oh, well, too early to get excited about their prospects. . . too much Red Sox history of disappointments.  I was bitten by the Red Sox 'bug' many years ago when a student at Boston University, having cut a class in Church History to see Ted Williams in his next to last game.  Now with three World Series Championships within the past 12 years a bit of the historic pain has been assuaged.

In the meantime, there is baseball at a different level and there are those who would maintain "at a purer level", i.e., the Minor Leagues and various categories of the 'non-professional', those who play it for the sheer fun .
In the late 1980's my cousin, Tommy,  pitched for a minor league affiliate of the New York Mets.  HIs team occasionally played in the city where I then lived and he would always provide complimentary tickets.  On one occasion, he was the winning pitcher in a game there and I realized that despite my love of the  game this was likely the only  time that I would see the family name in scoreboard lights.


"If they don't win, it's a shame . . ."

When a child, my grand-son Taylor enjoyed singing, "Let me   woot, woot, woot, for the home team. . ."
A few weeks ago, along with colleagues and friends, I attended a game of the local Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.  It was fun to watch the home runs but they lost.  Nearby, the Single A affiliate of the Miami Marlins has consistently provided good baseball and good entertainment.  Recently, Miss Babe Ruth retired after several years of retrieving bats, delivering balls to umpires, and playing post-game 'fetch'.  A black Lab Retriever, she has been succeeded by her brother, Master Yogi Berra, and niece, Miss LouLou Gehrig.  (Check her out on You Tube.)

"The moment of Truth . . . "

When it comes to athletic "heroes", I prefer to find mine on a more local level.  Four of my wife's grand-nephews play on  county recreation league teams and we anticipate attending their upcoming games.  Ten year old Ian who views us as surrogate grand-parents is developing into a very talented baseball player, equally adept as pitcher, catcher, shortstop and hitter.  Last week-end he had his first ever over the fence home run, having hit an 'in the park' home run the week-end previously.
Ian steals home


My late Uncle Ken was an overpowering pitcher in his youth.
Having played in the minors, he acknowledged in his later years that every Spring, he 'got the itch', meaning he would have relished the opportunity play once again.  I never progressed beyond high school athletics but I played first base well enough to enjoy the games.  Like Uncle Ken, I still 'get the itch' at this time of the year.

"Once upon my time . . ."

"Play Ball"

Satchel


1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh...the kids and I have spent a great deal of time in the company of Miss Babe Ruth, Yogi Berra and little LouLou. In fact, I have found myself watching and cheering as much for the dogs as for the players.

    I hear that, now that she is retired, Miss Babe Ruth can be found "in the audience" mingling with her adoring fans :)

    ReplyDelete